Knee pain is an increasing problem in society and as a result we see more and more patients with knee problems in our clinic. Chiropractic treatment is very effective for many of the problems that cause knee pain.
As chiropractors we take a comprehensive medical history and perform a thorough physical and biomechanical examination in order to make an accurate diagnosis – without an accurate diagnosis, the treatment will not be successful.
Our approach of assessing and treating the knee includes the evaluation of the other joints and muscles relating to the knee. This is for several reasons:
- Firstly, pain can be referred from other structures in the low back, pelvis and hip into the knee, in certain conditions.
- Secondly, if other joints in the lower limb are not working correctly they can put increased stress on the knee joint, resulting in injury over time. Therefore to resolve the knee pain chiropractors may also treat other areas, to maximise long-term improvement.
Chiropractic treatment of knee pain
We would normally modify the treatment to suit each patient and their specific conditions. So the type of treatment that is most appropriate for one person is not necessarily right for another.
Reduce joint inflammation and reduce pain
- Avoidance of aggravating factors, use of a support, sports tape.
- Ice to reduce inflammation, muscle spasm and pain.
- Soft tissue healing: laser & other therapies.
Normalise joint function
- Specific chiropractic adjusting techniques to areas of restricted movement in the knee and surrounding joints, to increase movement, improve the function and reduce pain.
- Deep soft tissue massage, trigger-point therapy and cross-friction.
Rehabilitation exercise program
- When appropriate we introduce exercises to improve strength, endurance and stability. We also work on improving your balance and your sense of joint position (proprioception). This will help you to return to normal and also prevent new injuries.